Sub $100 Masternodes - pull the plug?

• You bought into a great sounding project.  Devs motivated.  Discord buzzing.  Eventually bids get hit and Devs are quiet.  No updates.  Node is now worth less than $100.  When do you pull the plug?  With CTF I did that but I only deleted the VPS and kept the coins.  There's no POS so I can close the wallet.  At this point it's a high-flier (no pun intended).  

What about you?  Which ones have you hit the bid / pulled the plug on?  Did you only delete the VPS or sold everything?

• Yep loads of people did that in the early days of Bitcoin. "Hey doesn't seem like BTC is going above $10, I'm cashing in right now".  As with all things Crypto (for now) it is a crapshoot and there are a number of low cost coins that while not showing great improvement (especially in the current market) that do have a solid base and have the potential to go up. If you have the coin and selling is not going to make much difference to your financials then and you have  a known history with the coin then IMHO its worth hanging on to. I often equate it to a Starbucks or McDonalds, even a beer or two. Is the cost prohibitive of keeping an MN going - depends on your own mileage of course but if its not and you feel right about the coin, keep it.

• administrators

Ha I dont know why I missed this thread the forst time around. It is an interesting question. 

If the coin "dies" and you happen to still hold it at that time, I think the best way to go is just to keep it. Maybe stop the VPN if you worry about VPS costs. But keep the coins. dont sell them for a couple dollars. The project might be picked up later on by a new dev team, or a community takeover, or it could get forked and you get free coins from another chain.

• I guess one detail is does the MN rewards cover the VPS cost?  There may be opportunity if you have a decent vibe/beat that the coin has the legs/commitment to recover.  While others may be taking their nodes down thinking the same, you potentially could have an opportunity the come out even further ahead.

I agree with @kelnel what's the point of selling for McDonald's Dollar Menu prices.

• administrators

@flong yea, you can stop your node and stop paying for the VPS if you worry about that. Just keep the coins imo

Looks like your connection to BetweenBlocks was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.