My Masternode Journey — CryptoCartel

• “I am gonna say it again. The first coin that lets my body become a masternode I am literally goin’ all in." - CryptoCartel April 5, 2018

This might be a long read but I have organized it into different sections so that you know what to look for or can skip around as you see fit. I will not be posting a definitive list of masternodes that I own at the moment, because I do not want you to miss out on the learning opportunity that led me to finding all of the nodes that I own, which will ultimately allow you to make these decisions more quickly and on your own, making you more successful overall. I will mention a few names throughout this article, and drop hints at other things I may own along the way. I do post about the nodes I own on Twitter, and discuss them a lot, so if you’re that interested keep an eye out, or ask me about a particular node you’ve been looking at, maybe you’ll find something I missed. Feel free to send me any feedback on Twitter, Telegram, or Discord!

Introduction:

Hello to everyone reading this. I wanted to share some of my experience with masternodes over the last 6 months or so, and provide a little background with what I'm doing with them, what I look for, and what I think of the current situation of the masternode market.

First off some background on myself if you don't know me. I started off in the crypto world in mid 2013 as a miner, and ran a small giveaway site and forum that is since long gone. I left crypto for a while in school, but have been back and more involved than ever since the spring of 2017. You can follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/TheCryptoC... to keep up with what I'm doing and make fun of my bad calls (and hopefully find some good ones too). I no longer mine, though I have a plan for getting back into that scene shortly, but I am an active altcoin trader, developer, community member, and all around crypto enthusiast. You will find me in many discord groups and telegram channels, so feel free to say hi or feel free to reach out with questions/comments, I try to be a familiar and friendly face.

Masternode Basics:

What is a masternode?

A masternode is an active node on a blockchain network (node being a computer connected to the network and running the chain 24/7) that is trusted with processing certain types of transactions, and other information for a chain. This trust is established by securing a certain number of coins, the “collateral”, and not spending them. The node is then rewarded for doing these special and important actions by receiving a portion of the block reward. The actions processed by masternodes are various types of transactions: InstantSend, DarkSend, Zerocoin, as well as governance related tasks such as proposal voting. Masternodes first came to be when they were released by Dash, and since then others have advanced the technology dramatically, coins such as PIVX, MUE, XZC, and CRW. Below are some links that explain the functions of masternodes and their features clearly and concisely:

General info:

https://pivxmasternode.org/what-is-a-masternode/

http://dashmasternode.org/what-is-a-masternode/

https://crown.tech/systemnodes-vs-masternodes

Governance:

https://crown.tech/governance.php

Zerocoin (with regard to Masternodes):

https://zcoin.io/zcoin-development-update-znodes-and-scaling-zerocoin/

What goes into running a masternode?

There are only a couple of things that you need to run a masternode:

1. A computer that is on 24/7 with a publicly accessible static IP address (a VPS)
    2. The required number of coins (collateral) to activate the node

That’s it! After activation you will begin to receive payouts for running a node. There are several steps to actually setting up the masternode that need to be followed exactly, but once it’s done you don’t have to do a single thing (providing your node stays online).

Now it’s not quite as easy as it sounds. Since nodes need to be run by a computer that is always online and has a static IP (the most easy way to do this is a VPS) the setup must take place on the VPS. That means using Linux in most cases, and you will be everything via command line. Don’t know what a static IP is? Don’t know what a VPS is? Don’t know what Linux or the command line is? Don’t be too scared. It might seem like a daunting task to learn at first, but after you do one they’re all the same. You’ll get the hang of it. There are many resources and each coin’s community provides guides and support on how to get started. You’re not alone!

Sign me up. How much will I make?

Masternode rewards are paid out in an organized manner according to the following:

1. Each block, 1 masternode will receive a payout of a certain portion of the block reward. The other portion will be paid out to either PoW miners, or PoS stakers (depending on the coin)
    2. After a masternode receives a reward, it goes to the back of the line, and will receive another reward after all active masternodes have been paid.
    3. This means that once activated, your masternode will receive a payout once every x blocks, where x is the number of masternodes.

Using this knowledge we can easily calculate the ROI of any coin with masternodes using the following equations:

blocks / year = block time (seconds) * 31536000sec / year

coins / year = block reward * blocks/year

masternode rewards / year = coins/year * % of block reward paid to MN (in decimal)

rewards / node per year = mn rewards / year ➗number of active masternodes

ROI = rewards / node ➗ masternode collateral (for a percentage multiply x 100)

If you don’t want to think too hard about what happens with more masternodes active on the chain, the rewards go down. Simple as that. So don’t expect that ROI to remain constant for a long amount of time.

Beginning my journey:

I want to highlight several mistakes that I made when researching, investing in, and managing masternodes, that I think a lot of people make, and can be hard habits to shake. My experience with masternodes began as simply finding out it was some weird thing Dash implemented that cost $1million and made some passive income. Okay, I was familiar with PoS so I kinda got the idea, but wrote it off as I'm not that big of a whale to go and pick up a 1000 Dash. As I spent more and more time around bitcointalk and Twitter, I started to see more and more coins with masternodes.  Some of these were big coins that I knew from the past, and others whose names I recognized from research; things like MUE, PIVX, XZC, and CRW all popped up. However it still didn't click with me, and I still viewed it as just a weird PoS implementation--obviously these other coins just forked Dash, so no big deal.

Now the next part of my story is one that I really want to share with everyone, because it echos a common sentiment that I see in the masternodes.online/nodeshare telegram, and in many discord channels and all over Twitter, and that is: the MASSIVE ROI that these new nodes have, and how tempting it is to FOMO in to try and get these rewards. The ROI ends up dropping, early masternode owners dump their rewards, and the price tanks as a lot of these coins are simply cut paste dash/pivx clones.

Mistake #1: FOMO

So here it is, I'll even link the retweet for you guys: https://twitter.com/vivocrypto... and later => https://twitter.com/TheCryptoC... So I saw that initial tweet from VIVO and thought wow, that ROI is literally insane, 3 weeks to get my initial back? That's gotta be a scam right? So I did a very small amount of research to find out how masternodes work, and saw that ok yeah that part is not actually a scam, it does generate that much VIVO/week. So I went ahead and got one. Liquidated a bunch of random ICO buys, and sent them all over to Novaexchange to spend 1BTC+ on market buying a VIVO node, at the time BTC was around $8k if you're wondering. If that isn't some pretty bad FOMO then IDK what is. But I thought it was ok. That ROI was just so high it wouldn't matter if the price went down a little, and why should it? Can't other people see how crazy this ROI that they must just be dying to market buy to get on board asap? So I followed the guide for setting up a node, I had a windows VPS that I used for staking so I used that as a hot wallet.

Mistake #2: Using a Hot Wallet for a Masternode

Side note here before resuming the story: don't set up Hot Wallet nodes ok? A Linux VPS is less than $5 a month, and any decent coin that you're gonna be buying should have guides to explain everything, and a community willing to help if you have a couple questions. And if not, there are services like Nodeshare, and NodeVPS. Hot Wallets incredibly risky because you are literally broadcasting your IP address to every person on the network.   Now most of these IPs will be cold wallets, but that might not stop someone from trying to look and see if you left any backdoors into your server. So just don't do it, it's not worth it, even for a short term node. When do I actually use them myself (after finding all of this out of course)? Running nodes that have poorly designed wallets that don't work on Windows/Mac or that can't seem to work as a hot/cold setup. The only two that currently fall into this category for me are SKELR (basically dead coin) and 8BIT (basically dead coin). You shouldn't really use a VPS for staking either if you have an old laptop or PC that you can afford to have on 24/7, but it's a little less risk as you aren't really directly broadcasting your IP to anyone, still risky having your coins anywhere but a wallet on your own computer though.

Back to the story, after doing so little research before buying, once I had set up my VIVO node I did a little more research into what masternodes were, what they did, how this ROI was so high, what the project actually was besides masternodes, etc. And that’s when I realized it was only so inflated because so few nodes were on the network. I started to sell my rewards on the daily, even multiple times a day just scared that the price would tank (and it did start tanking immediately) and just tried to recoup my initial cost. I kept my node for a couple months with this same strategy of selling rewards, until I decided to eat the loss, and wanted to look for a different project to put the money into (it didn’t in fact end up being too bad of a loss as I did receive a couple weeks of very high rewards). I ended up selling the entirety of my node, and the rest of my unsold stakes. This is not something that I do often, in fact I have only ever sold three masternodes in their outright.

Mistake #3: Selling

While everyone is so excited about the ROI that you can generate with a masternode it is always important to remember that you are making an initial investment to acquire the needed amount of coins. This means that in addition to your ROI you have to pay attention to the overall value of your master node, whether it is going up or down, and at many times you may feel motivated to sell. Now the conditions for this are different in every case.  Those of you who know me better know that most of my masternode plays (and crypto investments in general) are seriously low cap coins, and by extrapolation my individual masternodes are quite cheap (in comparison to the other nodes available, especially the higher cap nodes), so I am usually not risking too much skin in each node and I try to pick nodes that I believe in for longer term, so I don’t get worried about prices lowering. If you believe in your nodes, then it becomes much easier to hold through a bear market, as you are still generating those daily MN rewards, and you are anticipating the eventual greater success of the project. For much smaller plays that you might be interested for a quick flip, a quick ROI (maybe a new chain, or getting nodes first after a coin swap or something of the like), it is a little harder to make the decision, especially on price increases. Ultimately my advice is to keep the node if even with the increased price, the coin does not make up too much of a percentage of your portfolio. If it becomes a hugely inflated portion of your entire portfolio, it may be time to look and sell, and rebalance yourself into other nodes (or keep holding on for the full moon if you’d like).

I have two very similar examples of my selling nodes in this regard, that have slightly different outcomes. Phore, and Sucre.

The entirety of my Phore node was purchased at 400 satoshi with some spare BTC on Coinsmarkets. This was the very beginning of Phore, when it was doing its coin swap from a very old chain KryptKoin (KTK). I set up my node, generated a bunch of rewards, and then sold it for a quick x2  + my rewards at 800 sats, because I honestly didn’t think much of it (and boy was I wrong as you all can tell https://masternodes.online/currencies/PHR).

I purchased a Sucre node right before the masternode market became flooded on the daily with high ROI coins, and before the entire market downturn, solely because it was around $100 (which was unthinkable back then, the only other thing with a node around that price was ArcticCoin). So I set up my node, generated a bunch of rewards, and a couple weeks later sold for ~$1200 (don’t remember BTC prices for these purchases). Nice little x10, but I was afraid that the same thing might happen as Phore, but I managed to time it right in the overall cryptocurrency market, and in the masternode market.

Getting to where I am today:

After and during both of these plays I began to do more and more research every day on masternodes, and the coins that were out there. I had picked up enough Terracoin for a masternode before their activation, and then got right it and set mine up. I joined the Nodeshare telegram channel where I learned so much of the information that I know today, back when there were far less people in the chat, and masternodes were still not even as mainstream as there today (which is still not at all really). I began to pick up masternodes here and there, and began to grow my collection. Some Renos on a big dump, a Crave node right before the coin swap, a Crown SN and some other smaller nodes such as Shekel and Phils that I picked up during conversations on telegram and discord. I started building small positions in coins that had masternodes coming out soon, or bigger coins that I didn’t want to buy a whole node in one go. I listened to what people who had been in the masternode game longer than I have been in crypto for, and saw what they were looking at, what they were doing with rewards and what they thought of the future of masternodes. I saw how incredibly interested they were in the field, and their incredible bullishness on the market segment, and I soon fully adopted these sentiments. I talked incessantly about masternodes to people I knew in real life, my family and friends, those interested and invested in crypto and those not, eventually convincing some of my family members to let me take some of their crypto funds and get them nodes of their own. My collection began growing and I started to look to the cheaper nodes as a way to grow my daily passive income, one of the most important goals for me (along with the overall price stability and value of my nodes in total), and grow my overall number of nodes and exposure to this side of the market. I do not try to pretend to be a whale of any sort, I am certainly not one, and I do not claim to know the most about masternodes, and I don't even know the amount that I should about them, but I have had a great deal of success in this segment, and a great deal of enjoyment, even more than I’ve had trading in crypto in general which I already found incredibly fulfilling, and I hope that you readers find this both useful and enjoyable to read.

Before discussing my personal strategy for masternodes, I want to talk about what I like to look at in the masternode space

What to Look for in a Masternode:

The OBVIOUS:

1. The logo and name of the coin are not one or any combination of the following: food, an animal, a meme (MEME excluded from this but this is a huge exception because of the actual serious effort behind that coin). I love having fun with crypto, and of course there’s exceptions to this if the team is pulling off a meaningful idea. But use your brains people.
    2. There is no ICO being offered while the chain is already started. This is most often the developer selling his premine, it is the developer selling you his massive premine.
    3. Masternode presale. This is along the lines of #2, but I am more lenient with this as it’s ok for the developer to sell some nodes to be able to pay for listings. Stay away from: bidding, exorbitant prices, promise of receiving coins early (usually this is in the case of a swap), promises of gigantic ROI.
    4. If there is a premine it is small and reasonable, it is in control of multiple people, or it is being put to immediate good use. You should not be afraid of a dev dumping his premine and killing the coin.

The COIN:

1. The coin has a use case other than promising high ROI masternodes. Yes, we all love masternodes, but why do I actually care about this coin as opposed to anything else? Does it have its own exchange? Does it have a marketplace, a real world use case, some interesting governance proposals, interesting and unique tech?
    2. PRIVATE SEND AND INSTANT-SEND ARE NOT FEATURES. Every, I repeat, EVERY masternode forked from Dash has these features. They are not selling points, and should not factor into any decision you make. They are also not truly anonymous transactions, so do not be fooled by this promise either.
    3. The coin has some history. It hasn’t been out for only five days while the dev was selling his premine to you. Of course you can look at new coins, there’s great potential, but these are of course high risk
    4. The coin has a roadmap consisting of entries other than: more exchanges, mobile wallets, zerocoin, governance.
    5. Normal things that you look for in coins (not tokens) => max supply, inflation rates, PoW/PoS/MN block reward % split
    6. The wallet has some thought put into it. As you download more and more QT wallets for your nodes you will pick up on what the latest generic master node wallet will look like. You don’t need to expect anything too special (Galactrum’s QT wallet is a unique and refreshing example of a fully custom wallet) just make sure that some effort went into differentiating the wallet from whatever it was forked from, and has the proper changes to make it fit into the theme of the coin, colors, coin ticker, etc.
    7. I LOVE DEV FEES: Premines are ok, a developer should be able to have some of his own coin, especially if he is not a miner or the coin is not PoW, but developer fees. Developer fees are just simply the developer’s address receiving a portion of the block reward. This almost always encourages long term work on the project, as the developer has incentive to keep their coin alive and working, and it allows for the coin to have some funds for listing on further exchanges, services, etc.

The COMMUNITY:

1. The coin has the following: Bitcointalk ANN, Telegram channel, Discord group, website.
    2. There are members in these groups who are not just the developer, bots, and complete fools clamoring to get a 10k% ROI master node.
    3. There is more than one team member. I love devs, especially being one myself, but it’s a hard one man show. Hopefully there is someone helping this guy out, or he is willing to expand the team with marketers, community moderators, etc.
    4. Whoever is in charge of posting things/informing the community about changes, exchange listings, wallet updates, etc. can do so in an effective manner so that the entire community understands and has time to react to these updates.
    5. The community is interesting. If you’re like me and love wasting time (read: researching) in altcoin communities you want a friendly community, or at least one that is interesting to you.

The MASTERNODE:

1. The masternode collateral is a reasonable amount. If a coin has a max supply of 10 million, you don’t want the masternode collateral to be 100, or 100,000.
    2. The ROI is not outrageous. Yes we all come here for the promise of crazy ROI (welcome to crypto) and it is still an important factor. DO NOT: fall for the 10k% ROI presale coins.
    3. There is a healthy number of masternodes running on the network. While you might not be an early adopter running the first 10 nodes and getting crazy rewards, you will be experiencing less of an ROI drop off (which face it, that’s still what we’re all here for).
    4. There is a healthy amount of coins locked in masternodes. We need to know that masternodes are in use on the network, and that a good portion of coins are being used in them. This varies, especially with coin age. If you aren’t sure, it’s always good to compare newer coins to more established coins like DASH, PIVX, CRW, MEME, etc.
    5. BONUS: updated features, zerocoin and governance come to mind as the newest, governance being the more important, unless you are really looking for a privacy focused coin (but if you’re really doing that you probably think masternodes are centralized and reduce anonymity anyway). If a developer is capable of activating these features in a soft fork that is a huge plus. A key aspect of governance is that there are active proposals, and that the coin has a site featuring info about current proposals (best example IMO: http://crown.today/proposals). NOTE: as more and more coins come out with these features, more of the generic clones will as well, so always DYOR.
    6. BONUS: Masternodes are used for more than the normal (processing private/instant send transactions).

The MARKET:

1. What does the overall crypto market look like? How will this coin be affected by this?
    2. What does the overall masternode market look like? How will this coin be affected by this?
    3. What exchanges is this coin listed on? At the moment of writing the go-to masternode exchanges for newer coins seem to be: stocks.exchange, crypto-bridge.org, cryptohub.online, graviex.net .
    4. What daily volume is the coin getting? Do the order books have enough buy/sell orders to support buying a masternode? Are previous orders only masternode owners selling their daily rewards to reach their ROI? NOTE: low volume is not necessarily bad, but if you are chasing a high ROI node with 0 buy support or volume, good luck selling your rewards.

Bottom Line:

There are always exceptions, and the market may not follow either mine or your thinking. Every coin is different, every team and community is different. You can never do too much research before buying.

My Strategy for Buying and Maintaining Masternodes :

I used to say all the time that I will buy any masternode under $1000, but that was before the market was flooded with new coins, and before the bear clawed us down. I can’t even say that I’ll buy any node under $100 at this point. However, I still look more for the cheap undiscovered plays that lie somewhere in the mud, many of these nodes are well below $1000 and $100 now.

I am not really a high market cap crypto investor. Most of my plays are with relatively unknown coins, a lot not listed on major exchanges or even coinmarketcap. I follow this strategy with masternodes as well. I tweeted this recently: https://twitter.com/TheCryptoCartel/status/980124972789223424 and it’s an accurate summary of what I like to do. That being said there are a couple larger nodes that I fully believe in long term, have large development, marketing, and business teams, and that are a little more pricey. Some of these I have only 1 of, and I just set them up and let them run, keeping rewards.

My strategy for rewards:

Low cap coins => hold rewards if you are trying to get more of the same node, or take advantage of PoS, dump rewards if you fear a short term price trend, or simply want to take advantage of the ROI and hop into a different masternode coin.

High cap coins (or long term mid cap) => hold rewards if the ROI will lead to me getting another node, or again for PoS or simply long term growth. Sell rewards if the coin is taking over a large portion of your portfolio, or your individual masternode portfolio.

Whaling a Masternode:

This strategy is not for everyone, and it requires me to do a lot of things, but let’s look at what it takes:

1. Joining the discord/telegram channels of tons of coins and digging through them a little. Prepare to receive incessant @everyone tags.
    2. Signing up for low volume exchanges with horrible UIs. You think stocks.exchange is bad? Think again. Stocks is my Binance. Note: Please do not leave coins on these exchanges longer than necessary. We all remember what happened with coinsmarkets.
    3. Waiting. These are not the coins to FOMO into. You’ll want to set some bids and wait, and you’ll want to market buy some of the lower hanging sell orders.
    4. Going it on your own. Most of these communities will be willing to help you out to an extent, but it’s much easier if you already know what you’re doing. If you’ve already setup several masternodes, they’re essentially all the same and you already know that. So have no fear and take the plunge!
    5. Getting a ton of VPS’s. Of course if you’re buying into a coin with $30 masternodes, you might not be looking to just get one, especially if you’re trying to become a node whale. It gets hard to remember your VPS’s after the first 3 or so, so make sure to keep track of which ones run which nodes somewhere, this makes it much easier later on, or if anything goes wrong. I mark each IP address with what nodes I have running on each.
    6. Coin swaps. Get ready for the coin swaps. Project adding masternodes? Coinswap. Community takeover? Coinswap. Rebrand? Coinswap. Zerocoin/governance activation? Coinswap. Accidental fork? Coinswap.

I’m a complete masternode noob, I want to get one to see if it’s for me, and if I can even figure out how to set one up. What do I do?

Noobing:

If this is you, I do not recommend going for the strategy that I employ. There are plenty of coins in every budget range that are easy to setup, have active and helpful communities, and that I would feel comfortable recommending to someone even if the coin did not have masternodes. My advice for you is to research what it takes to setup a VPS, or research what hosting providers are available to you (I do not use any, so I am not the one to ask for info on this. I have only heard good things about both Nodeshare and Node-VPS however), and then take the plunge on one node for one particular coin. Do some research on your own, ask around, and pick one that you feel comfortable with. If all goes well, scale it on up.

As for coin recommendations in different price ranges, there are a couple topics on betweenblocks.org with some great info:

$500 - https://betweenblocks.org/topic/81/what-s-your-favorite-masternode-s-with-collateral-under-500-00/5

$1000 - https://betweenblocks.org/topic/2/what-s-your-favorite-value-masternodes-with-collateral-under-1-000-00/9

$5000 - https://betweenblocks.org/topic/8/favorite-masternodes-with-5-000-collateral/8

In my opinion, if you’re budgeting your first node you should not be looking to spend more than $5000, I would recommend looking at less than $1000 nodes until you get a feel for it. That being said there are some quality nodes above $5000.

Do’s and Don’ts:

DO:

Your own research.

Ask questions.

Look for creative and interesting projects.

Engage with the community.

Back up your wallets.

Stake your coins (PoS).

Sell your rewards.

Turn rewards into more nodes.

Take profit.

Be careful with your money.

Have fun.

DON’T:

Fall for presale scams.

Go all in on one coin.

Keep coins on exchanges.

Run a Hot Wallet Node.

Give ANYONE access to your coins.

Be afraid of being called a noob.

Yell at me for giving bad free advice.

Give up.

Conclusion:

Masternodes have received almost all of my attention in crypto since discovering them late last year. They are still relatively unknown overall, and the space is growing at a surprising rate, both with new coins, and new technology being introduced. They are an excellent hedge with their passive income, and it’s always good to wake up to more coins than you went to sleep with. Don’t let any of the technological barriers stop you from getting your very own masternode set up. Feel free to reach out to me any way that you can, I won’t hold your hand all the way through, but I will always share ideas and give information where I can. Lastly, I hope that you all enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. I have a very light hearted but serious relationship with crypto, and I enjoy the time I spend on it each day. There are some great people involved in masternodes, some of the brightest minds and most enjoyable people I’ve had the pleasure of talking to. I hope you all have as much fun as I do in this video game that we call crypto.

• CryptoCartel

Disclaimer:

The views expressed here are entirely my own. I have no affiliation with any of the websites or coins mentioned above. Masternodes and cryptocurrencies in general are risky investments. Invest only what you can afford to lose.

• Had to cut two small things for post size:

Contents:

Introduction

Masternode Basics

My Journey

What to Look for in a Masternode

My Strategy

Whaling

Noobing

Shortlist

Do’s and Dont’s

Conclusion

Disclaimer

Where should I go to get all of the services you use, and find more information the same way you do?

The Shortlist:

VPS: https://www.vultr.com/?ref=738...

Exchanges: https://stocks.exchange , https://crypto-bridge.org , https://cryptohub.online , https://graxiex.net , https://cryptopia.nz

Masternode Stats and Monitoring: https://masternodes.online, https://mn.zone

Masternode Info: http://www.stakeandnodes.com/j..., https://yearto.date/masternode..., https://betweenblocks.org/, https://bitcointalk.org

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheCryptoC...

Telegram: @thecryptocartel

My Coinmarketcap Search Chrome Extension (open source): https://t.co/Wyzr5QMb75

• administrators

Thank you soooo much for this post. It is a bit long so people might get discouraged from reading it. I strongly advise everyone to read this. It has a TON of info and is also quite funny/interesting. If you don't have the time/patience to read it all, at least take a peak at the DO/DON'T section for nice quick cliffs. 
    I personally particularly enjoyed reading about your mistakes because I can strongly relate as I've been through there as well.  

@cryptocartel said:

I talked incessantly about masternodes to people I knew in real life, my family and friends, those interested and invested in crypto and those not, eventually convincing some of my family members to let me take some of their crypto funds and get them nodes of their own.

I remember someone mentioning a looong time ago that their grandpa had a MEME masternode 🐸Was that you?  😂 If so, is he still holding?

• @cryptocartel Thank you so very much for all of your info. I'm new to the whole masternode approach to crypto. As someone who may not have a lot of capital to play around with, around $500 total, is it even worth getting in to masternodes? I assume I would want to spread out my portfolio of masternodes but I feel like that could be tricky with such a low investment amount. Do you have any recommendations for those of us trying to get started on a limited budget?

• @kelnel The only way people would get discouraged is if they don't want a treasure chest of masternode info! You took the words right out of my mouth though, @kelnel - This is such a useful, well thought-out, and unique post. A great combination of fact and opinion that anyone new to the world of masternodes (including myself) can use as a reference. It's so important for people who are knowledgeable in this space to spread their wealth of knowledge and I respect you so much for taking the time to do so. I really like the way you laid out the information, it read like a story but serves as a manual/guide. Sending a ton of love and appreciation your way, @cryptocartel 

• Thank you so much for that message, so many good things in it, specially to read about your experiences, bad and good one! Everybody who’s looking to start MN should read your post. 

I would add,that as a total Linux noob, never touched that before two weeks ago, I did set up few Masternode already, don’t be afraid, some coins have really helpful community and most tutorials are really well done. Even if some cheap one are not, then you won’t loose much and can learn through all the issues on the vps...

• @bolund  Don't worry, everyone here pretends they're a whale, it's definitely worth it if you want to take the plunge with that $500.There's some decent things around the $500 mark if you wanted to just get one node, maybe a TRC, or a CRW-SN would be some nice stable picks if you wanted to go full $500 on one, or you could try mix and matching, things like XAX, JEW, ORE, SUCRE, could be good (just speaking from experience with these setups, roi, and teams). I would try picking one that you comfortable just splurging on (maybe not the full $500, maybe try something really cheap and see if can see the appeal and the scaling potential with the rest of your capital, before making a further decision on the full $500. If you're scared of the setup or anything at all, grab an OMEGA node and try to set it up. $7 for the research could be worth it. 

1. @cryptocartel nice write up

• administrators

@cryptocartel  - I'm not pretending to be a whale...  Just a Salmon pretending to be dolphin.  😆

Great article thanks for sharing....

• awh this is so cute cartel ❤

• @cryptosandwich I love Salmon it's delicious, but all things considered I'd prefer to be a Shark over a Whale or a Dolphin...  Just my preference, but dolphins are still cool.

• @cryptocartel Raspberry Pi implant?

• @cryptocartel I'm a whale, I bought a $500 masternode that crashed to under $100. Oh wait, I meant I was whaled...

• @cryptocartel Vultr lets you name each VPS. I maxxed out at five though. I have had good luck so far with their $2.50 VPS, and if sold out changing location might make one available. Bitvise lets you copy and paste to and from the VPS.

• @xixix13 you can request more VPS from vultr. They'll approve it within the day usually.

• Global Moderator

@cryptocartel  Really really nice job!   love your perceptive.  thank so much for sharing!!

• Wow, this is the first time i have read anything about masternodes and i feel like i have a decent understanding just from your efforts. Cant thank you enough. 

• This post is amazing! This should be pinned on the landing page of between blocks! (together with that JAM post). In many points you describe the same experience I had. I wish I found something like this earlier. Just curious about the 'stock.exchange is my binance'  😂   You just go look for coins on random exchanges? You go to discord channels from where? My starting point is almost always (except for akroma only I think) masternodes.online. Looks like you start deeper! 

Cheers dude!

• @tic4

Glad you found it interesting and entertaining! I come across coins in so many random ways honestly: stumbling on them on twitter, someone randomly mentioning them in a telegram conversation, reading through bitcointalk ANNs, betweenblocks posts, sometimes people talking in discord chats about other coins, sometimes exchanges like SE or CB posting new additions. The more you are into masternodes and crypto in general the more you'll start to see them pop up in other ways.

• Very helpful post. Thanks for doing such a great work.

Looks like your connection to BetweenBlocks was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.